In this class students build upon what they learned in general biology in order to study advanced concepts. Students study the following:
• Atoms and Molecules
• Cells and Cell Division
• Genetics and DNA
• Reproduction and Meiosis
• History of Earth and Evolution
• Mitochondrial DNA Analysis
• An Introduction to Bacteria
• Genetic Engineering (Genetic Transformation of Bacteria)
• Forensic Science and Gel Electrophoresis
• Disease (Enzyme Linked Immunosorbant Assay)
Reading and Research Projects:
- How has the atomic bomb affected people?
- How do macromolecules affect us?
- What are the different type of cells and their affect on the human body?
- How does knowledge of DNA influence our lives?
Individual Research Projects:
- Mitochondrial DNA and Human Evolution (including Literature Review)
- What is bacterial transformation and its affect on people (including Literature Review)
- How does temperature affect the rate of molecular movement?
- How do different factors affect yeast respiration?
- Which fruits have more DNA per gram?
Experiments and lab reports
Science literacy reading (reading articles and constructing opinions)
Interdisciplinary project (mitochondrial DNA and its connection to history, language, and mathematics)